The name of this town refers to the Forest of Arden, which is just next to the town. With its avenue of elegant Cotswold stone houses, a few Tudor relics, eclectic shops and affluent residents, Henley in Arden has an un-spoilt historic high street. It is host to a wonderful collection of shops, restaurants and pubs. Henley was a market town of some importance in the Middle Ages. In the centre of the town is the old Market Place, where stands the remains of the 15th century Market Cross, one of the few still existing in Warwickshire. Proclamations have been made from the Cross for more than five centuries, including the proclamation of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952.
The one mile long High Street is a conservation area and contains over 150 buildings of Historic Interest. Notable among them is the Guild Hall, a timber-framed building standing to the north of St. John’s Church. It has been extensively restored though many of the original timbers remain and it is one of the many wood beamed architectural wonders of the place.Both the Heritage Centre and the Guild Hall are open during summer months. Henley is a foodie place with several popular cafes and restaurants including the famous Henley Ice Cream Parlour and Blue Bell Inn. There is a scattering of boutique businesses along the high street including some reasonable antique and fashion shops.