Clown workshops, a Knights and Princesses Academy and lots of family friendly fun are all on offer during February Half Term across Warwickshire.
Members of Shakespeare’s England are offering a whole host of exciting activities to keep children and parents entertained during the break.
Knights and Princesses are being summoned to Kenilworth Castle for a time-travelling day out, at the Knights and Princesses Academy to learn tales of chivalry.
They will be able to test their courtly etiquette skills and heroic credentials as they sword fight and joust to victory, before discovering more than 900 years of history in the castle’s grounds.
The Royal Shakespeare Company will help visitors to clown around with its Clowning workshops and for budding actors, the Play in a Day workshop hosted by an RSC expert, will allow participants to create their own version of As You Like It.
At Shakespeare’s New Place, visitors can act out their favourite Shakespeare play with emojis in the puppet theatre before hearing about the Bard’s influence on the science-fiction genre on the Shakespeare and Sci-Fi daily tours.
For families, bring a blanket and telescope for the stargazing evening, to see the largest and closest supermoon of 2019, on February 19.
During Stratford Butterfly Farm’s Meet the Mini-Beast handling sessions, people can hold a giant African millipede, African land snail and a variety of stick insects, before walking among some of the world’s most beautiful butterflies and see the largest display of leafcutter ant colonies in the UK.
Here is the full list and details of events:
• Henley Chocolates – The Chocolate Shed workshops for mini-chocolatiers and families with plenty of treats to try and chocolate masterpieces to take home. Visit www.thechocolateshed.com to book.
• Hooray’s Gelato Kitchen – Valentine’s specials and a 2-for-1 deal along with the pink post-it heart wall to share a message with your valentine, email email@example.com or call 01789 296613 for more information.
• Coombe Abbey Hotel – Valentine’s Afternoon Tea, Candlelit Dinner and Romantic Stay for two, visit www.coombeabbey.com/valentines.
• British Motor Museum – Explore the power and science behind the collection of jet-powered cars during Professor Pickle and Doctor Pumpkin’s daily science shows. To book tickets visit www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/events/family-activities.
• Belgrade Theatre – The stage adaption of David Walliams’ Billionaire Boy with shows from Wednesday, February 20 to February 23, to book visit www.belgrade.co.uk.
• Stratford Town Walk – regular town walks from 11am every day and Saturday evening ghost walk at 7:30pm, tickets include discounts for the Butterfly Farm, Shakespeare’s School, the Shakespeare Houses and more: www.stratfordtownwalk.co.uk/.
• Leamington Spa Art Gallery & Museum – Art Craft Family Fun day on Saturday, February 23 and make clay animals at the Holiday Art Club, call 01926 334418 to book.
• Market Hall Museum, Warwick – Arty Tots and Behind-the-Scenes Museum Tours available on February 19 and 20, visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/heritageboxoffice to book.
• Orchestra of the Swan – Tasmin Little plays Vivaldi’s Four Seasons at Stratford Play House on February 5.
• The Bell, Alderminster – Valentine’s Day dinner on Thursday, February 14 with sharing options for two, visit https://www.thebellald.co.uk/ for more information.
Helen Peters, chief executive of Shakespeare’s England, said: “It’s great to see that our members are offering a range of activities for all ages to keep families entertained across half term.
“There’s something for everyone to enjoy, with Valentine’s Day celebrations to family-friendly fun across half term.
“I’m sure that the unique and exciting activities on offer will continue to bring people to the area and we look forward to welcoming them to explore our wonderful region.”
For more suggestions and accommodation for the half term break visit https://shakespeares-england.co.uk/