Discover things to do during May half term in Warwickshire
Art workshops, family activities and the chance to see behind-the-scenes of Antiques Roadshow will keep families entertained across the May half term holidays.
Members of Shakespeare’s England are offering a whole host of unique activities to keep children and parents entertained during the break.
At Compton Verney the hit BBC show Antiques Roadshow will be offering the chance to have family treasure valued with free admission to the grounds for a sneak peak behind the scenes of the show on Sunday, July 2.
Along with the Green Dwellings art installation where families can make their own dwelling, learn how to camouflage themselves, try birdwatching, foraging for wild food and botanical dying workshops there’s lots going on across the 120 acres of parkland and at the historic manor house.
Children can try out a potential future career in car designing during the British Motor Museum’s Designer Week with tales of famous designers, the family trail and the opportunity to design their own car.
There’s more arts and crafts happening across Warwick this May half term, with Market Hall Museum’s Inventors and Innovators events teaching children how to be modern day inventors and the Arty Tots sessions where under-5s can create their own mythical creatures.
More art activities are taking place in Stratford with the return of the Discover, Gather, Give festival where over 40 award-winning artists will showcase their work and workshops will be available for both children and adults on Saturday, June 1 and Sunday, June 2.
Here is the full list and details of events:
- Mallory Court Hotel – The new Explore Warwickshire package includes a two-night stay, dinner, breakfast and a two-day Shakespeare’s England Explorer pass for two adults granting access to 17 Warwickshire attractions. To book visit https://www.mallory.co.uk/news-and-offers/mallory-offers/explore-warwickshire/.
- British Motor Museum – Designer Week from May 25 until June 2, family annual pass just £40, more information at https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/events/may-half-term.
- Warwick Fusiliers Museum – Brilliant Badges arts and crafts, family drop-in event from 2pm-4pm, call 01926 491653 or visit www.warwickfusiliers.co.uk.
- Market Hall Museum – Arty Tots: Mythical Creatures on Tuesday, May 28 and Inventors and Innovators on Thursday, May 30 from 10am-3pm.
- Discover, Gather, Give Arts Festival – The Festival is open to the public on Saturday, June 1 from 10.30am-5pm and Sunday, June 2 from 10.30am-4pm.
- Stratford Park Hotel – Stay and Play Golf Packages, Meeting Madness delegate rates and May Stays; 10 per cent off throughout May and a free bottle of bubbles with code maystay, overnight golf packages from £99 and delegate rates from £28 per person https://www.thestratfordpark.co.uk/book/.
- Compton Verney – Explore the meadows around the new ‘Green Dwelling’ art installation with family days from May 25 to May 31, make your own model dwelling, learn how to camouflage yourself and blend into the landscape and much more, for more details visit https://www.comptonverney.org.uk/.
- Kenilworth Castle – Knights’ Tournament on May 16 and 17 with the Grand Melee finale and Get Hands on With History Castles for hands-on medieval fun all half term. To book visit https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/kenilworth-castle/.
- Woodside Hotel – Afternoon Tea launching from June 1, for full details visit http://www.sundialgroup.com/special-offers/package/ws-afternoon-tea.
- RSC – Drop-in craft day, explore costume making workshops, try the family activity trail and events happening every day during half term. For details visit https://www.rsc.org.uk/.
- Johnsons Coaches – Great days out from only £22 to a number of destinations, departing every day of the holidays from Henley-in-Arden, more information at www.johnsonscoaches.co.uk.
- Dallas Burston Polo Club – The Ian Donald Memorial Trophy on May 25 and The Stoneythorpe Cup Final on May 26, for more details visit https://dbpoloclub.com/polo/.
- Coombe Abbey – Mediaeval Banquet, £44.95 per person, visit https://www.coombeabbey.com/product/events/mediaeval-banquet-2/ or call 02476 450 450 to book.
- Shakespeare’s Schoolroom & Guildhall– Kate’s Storytree giving children all the inspiration and materials they need to create their own imaginative tale, before capturing it in a story jar to take home their own piece of magic https://www.shakespearesschoolroom.org/.
- Shipston on Stour – Shipston Wool Fair on Monday May 27 to connect with the heritage of the area including an exhibition of rare sheep breads and even a few celebrity sheep.
- Stratford Town Walks – Learn about the history of Shakespeare and the town with the daily tours (11am Sunday to Friday, 11am and 2pm on Saturday) and ghost walks every Saturday evening. Tickets provide discounts to other Stratford attractions, more information at https://www.stratfordtownwalk.co.uk/
- Go Cotswolds Tours – Tours of the Cotswolds every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and the monthly Purity Brewery and Cotswolds Pub Tours on selected Saturdays, to book visit www.gocotswolds.co.uk/product/cotswolds-day-tour/.
Helen Peters, chief executive of Shakespeare’s England the Destination Management Organisation for South Warwickshire, said: “As always, this May half term there’s plenty to do in Warwickshire with Shakespeare’s England members offering a whole range of unique activities and exclusive offers.
“There’s some really exciting things happening across the region such as Antiques Roadshow coming to film at Compton Verney, so we’re thrilled that our members will be in the national spotlight and that visitors can get involved in possibly having their family treasure valued.
“There’s also some really wonderful offers and deals from members during the half term, with Stratford Park Hotel offering some real bargains! We’re looking forward to welcoming visitors to the region to enjoy these events and offers.”
For more suggestions and accommodation for the half term break visit https://shakespeares-england.co.uk/